Mannheim

Names: 
Mannheim
Marinovka
Oktyabrskoye
Мангейм
Маинское
Маенгейм
Мановка
Manovka
Maienheim
History: 

Mannheim was founded in 1860 by colonists from the neighboring Paninskaya District.

In 1915, the village was officially renamed Manovka.

What remains today of the former colony of Mannheim is known as Marinovka. There is a good sized dam on the Bolshoi Karaman River at Marinovka.

Church: 

The founding Volga German colonists who settled in Mannheim were Lutheran. The local congregation was part of the parish headquartered in Gnadenflur.

Originally, parishners worshiped in the school building. A new structure was built in 1889-1891, and consecrated on 15 December 1891. It also served a dual function as school and church. In that same year, the pastor also relocated from Gnadenflur to Mannheim, but the name of the parish was retained as Gnadenflur. The church building was officially closed on 20 August 1934.

Population: 
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1850
 
 
 
 
1857
 
 
 
 
1860
 
529
 
 
1883
 
836
 
 
1888
273
883
451
432
1894
 
 
 
 
1897
 
969*
475
494
1905
 
1,606
 
 
1910
188
1,513
748
765
1912
 
1,800
 
 
1920
253
1,805
 
 
1922   1,491    
1923   1,380    
1926
289
1,486**
741
745
1931   1,670***    

*Of whom 967 were German.
**Of whom 1,473 were German (284 households: 732 male & 741 female).
***Of whom 1,658 were German.

Sources: 

- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 312.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.

Map showning Mannheim (1935).