Emmaus Lutheran Church - Wauseon

Emmaus Lutheran Church's history is traced back to 1899 when services were held near Ottokee, north of Wauseon. In 1911, the mission congregation began holding services in Wauseon, meeting in members homes, City Hall, and other church buildings. The congregation of Emmaus German Evangelical Lutheran Church was official organized on 16 November 1913.

The congregation's first permanent church building was purchased in 1924, moved to Fulton Street, and dedicated on 1 February 1925 after remodelling was completed. A new building was constructed at 841 N. Shoop Ave. and dedicated on 2 February 1964.

Emmaus Lutheran Church has been a member of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod since 1937.

First Location:

Fulton St.
Wauseon, Ohio

Current Location:

841 N. Shoop Ave.
Wauseon, OH 43567-1800

Pastors & Priests: 

The members of Emmaus Lutheran Church have been served by the following pastors:

F. Reinking (1899-1900)
C. H. Schroeder (1900-1902)
J. F. Ruff (1902-1906)
John H. Meyer (1906-1912)
S. Hofmann (1912-1914)
H.E. Plehn (1914-1918)
Otto G. Hebestreit (1918-1928)
R. G. Trautmann (1928-1940)
Carl E. Zehner (1940-1946)
Walter E. Meyer (1947-1954)
Wilbert E. Bok (1955-1960)
J. V. Moyer
Charles Althoff


- The Dedication and 50th Anniversary Celebration of Emmaus Ev. Lutheran church, North Shoop Avenue, Wauseon, Ohio: February 2 to 9, 1964 [booklet].
- Emmaus Lutheran Church (Bowling Green State University)
- About Us (Emmaus Lutheran Church)


Parish records, beginning in 1914, have been microfilmed and are available at the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University (MS 1101).

Emmaus Lutheran Church (1924) in Wauseon, Ohio.
Source: 50th Anniversary Booklet

Emmaus Lutheran Church (1964) in Wauseon, Ohio.
Source: 50th Anniversary Booklet