Salem Congregational Church - Sanger
In late summer 1907, a group of Volga German immigrants who had settled in and around Sanger gathered for a prayer meeting and decided to form a congregation. Articles of incorporation were officially filed with the State of California on 21 April 1908.
Under the leadership of Pastor Franz Englund, a corner stone for a new church building was laid in March of 1908 at the corner of North and Thompson. In 1917, the church was moved to its present location at the corner of McCall and Annadale. The land there had been donated by the William Schwabenland family.
In 1969, the congregation became Salem Free Evangelical Free Church.
North & Thompson
2518 S. McCall Ave.
Fresno, CA 93657-9720
Salem Congregational Church has been served by the following pastors:
- 100th Anniversary Resolution by the Fresno Board of Supervisors (Resolution No. 08-458)
- Haugland, Scott, Ken Marcantonio, and Hal Shaw. Sanger (Sanger, CA: Sanger Historical Society, 2013): 92.