St. Anthony Catholic Church - Sterling

Orignally founded on 24 June 1888 as St. John the Baptist Catholic parish when a small frame structure was dedicated. This building was destroyed in 1896 by high winds/tornado. A building was purchased at North 5th and Chestnut in 1902. The parish was renamed St. Anthony in honor of Anthony Giacomini, an early Catholic pioneer in the community, when a new building was dedicated on 5 November 1911. The former St. John's building was sold to Zion Congregational Church.

In 1918, the parish opened a school. During the 1930s and 40s, German students from Russia were educated in the “Russian School” because they had to work in the beet fields during harvest season and their school year was shortened; all other students were educated in the “Yankee School”.  The schools were combined in 1940. In 2015, the St. Anthony school was closed.

First Location:

Walnut St.
Sterling, Colorado

Second Location:

Chestnut & N. 5th
Sterling, Colorado

Current Location:

326 S. Third St.
Sterling, CO 80751

Pastors & Priests: 

The parish was served by visiting priests until 1908 when the parish in Sterling became an independent parish and Father Peter U. Sasse became the resident priest.

The parish of St. Anthony's was served by the following priests:

Peter U. Sasse (1908-1920)
Charles H. Hagus
Emile J. Verschraeghen (1934-1962)
Robert L. Wedow
Michael Bodzioch


- Parish website

St. Anthony Catholic Church in Sterling, Colorado
Source: Sterling Historical Sites.