St. Mary Lutheran Church - Saratov
The Lutheran parish in Saratov was officially organized in 1793, although Pastor Ahlbaum was active in the city before then.
St. Mary Lutheran Church was built in Saratov. A new building was constructed in the 1870s. It is a twin to the church that was built in Zürich. This building was torn down in 1971.
Construction on the new St. Mary's church was begun in a neighborhood south of downtown. It was consecrated on 13 May 2018, 225 years after the parish was founded.
Before the 1941 deportation, the Lutheran parish in Saratov has been served by the following pastors:
Laurentius Ahlbaum (1773-1786)
Johann Gottfried Herrmann (1803-1816)
Karl August Limmer (1818-1820)
Ignatius Aurelius Feßler (1819-1832)
Adam Christian Paulus Kohlreiff (1820-1822)
Johann Samuel Huber (1823-1834)
Johann Gross (1835-1853)
Konstantin Ferdinand Butzke (1855-1865)
Karl Friedrich Wilhelm Kossmann (1866-1888)
Gustav Schomburg (1883-1887)
Gustav Adolf Thomson (1888-1912)
Liborius Behning (1901-1926)
Felix Coulin (1905-1907)
Woldemar Lankau (1914-1918)
Erhard Torinus (1915-1918)
Arthur Kluck (1915-1918)
Eduard Seib (1918-1924)
Christfried Wagner (1926)
Following the collapse of the Soviet Union and the re-birth of the Lutheran Church in Saratov, the parish has been served by the following pastors:
- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das Religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen - Evangelischer Teil (Stuttgart: Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Russland, 1972): 194.
- "The Ambassador of Germany were consecrated in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Saratov." Russia News Today (13 May 2018). [Online]
- Vinogradova, Julia. "Dedication of St. Mary's Church in Saratov." News from Lutheran Churches in the Former Soviet Union (23 June 2018). [Online]
St. Mary Lutheran Church in the center of the photo (tall spire). The conservatory (which still stands) can be seen on the far left of this photo (1920s).
Source: Vern Beilman.