Zion Lutheran Church - Oshkosh
Zion Lutheran Church was founded by Volga German immigrants from Yagodnaya Polyana in 1909. Construction on a church building began early in 1910 at 330 N. Sawyer Ave. (later renumbered to 1002).
Originally services were conducted in German. The first English service was conducted in 1925, and by 1927 regular services were held in both English and German. The last German service was in 1961.
In 1967, groundbreaking was held for a new building at 400 N. Sawyer. It was dedicated in November 1970.
Originally, Zion was affiliated with the American Lutheran Church, which merged with other groups to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Today, Zion is affiliated with Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC).
330 N. Sawyer Ave. (later renumbered to 1002)
400 N. Sawyer Street
Oshkosh, WI 54902-4291
Zion Lutheran Church has been served by the following pastors:
Frederick Preu (1911-1914)
John Holm (1915-1917)
F. William Knappe (1917-1920)
Emil R. Melchert (1920-1924)
Leo Oberleiter (1924-1961)
August J. Zaiser
Gerald F. Nerenhausen (1961-?)
- Oshkosh Firsts & Facts (Oshkosh Public Library)