Stony Plain, Alberta
In 1892 the area was known as Dog Rump Creek until a post office was named for the region and it became Stony Plain. Stony Plain was officially incorporated as a town in 1908.
Volga German immigrants from Norka began arriving in the Stony Plain area in 1889.
The following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around Stony Plain:
Albrecht from Norka
Bowes from Ober-Monjou
Feuerstein from Norka
Giebelhaus from Norka
Henkel / Hinkel
Miller from Norka
Scheidemann from Norka
Schlitt / Schlidt from Norka
Schnell from Norka
Schwindt from Norka
Spady from Norka
Web(b)er from Norka
Weitzel from Norka
Wolf(e) from Norka
Yost from Norka
- Bauer, Reuben A. One of Many (Edmonton, Alberta: Imprimerie La Survivance Printing Ltd., 1965): 45-54.
- Prokop, Manfred. The Settlement of Immigrants of German Origin in Northern Alberta from the 1880's to the 1910's: A Fact Book (2013): 25.
- Stony Plain (Glory Hills District), Alberta (Steve Schreiber)
- Glory Hills Alliance Cemetery (FindAGrave)
- Hope Christian Reformed Church Cemetery (FindAGrave)
- Stony Plain, Alberta (wikipedia)
- Town of Stony Plain