Tbilisi traces its history back to the 5th Century. From 1801 to 1917, when it was located in the territory of the Russian Empire, it was the capital of the Caucasus Viceroy. Before 1934, Tbilisi was known in English as Tiflis and today is still called Tiflis in some languages.
Volga German families relocated to this part of the Caucasus as early as the mid-1800s.
The Seventh-Day Adventists had a missionary outpost in Tbilisi during the late Tsarist and early Bolshevik periods.
The congregation of the Reformed Church in Tbilisi was served by the following pastors:
Christoph Heinrich Bonwestch (1840-1845)
Johannes Huppenbauer (1845-1851)
Karl Heinrich Thomas (1849-1852)
Karl Rudolf Roos (1864-1884)
Johannes Schleuning (1910-1914)
Emil Reusch (1919-1925)
The following Volga German families settled in and around Tbilisi:
Löbsack from Frank
- Tbilisi (Wikipedia)