Kamyshi, Altai Krai (Siberia)

Includes the following communities: 
Камыши, Алтайский край (Siberia)
Kamyshi, Altai Krai (Siberia)
Kamyshinskoe, Altai Krai (Siberia)
Kamyshki, Altai Krai (Siberia)
History: 

Kamyshi [Kamyschi in German] was founded in 1906 by Volga German colonists from Dönhof. The first homes were built of earth bricks.

Land surveyors gave the new village the name of Kamyshi (which means "reeds" in Russian) because it was located along the shore of a lake overgrown with reeds.

By the summer of 1908, 120 Volga German families lived in Kamyshi. During WWII, most adults were taken to Kirov by the Workers' Army to work in the logging industry.

In 1996, 15 families (55 people) left Kamyshi for Germany; in the first six months of 1997, an additional 17 families (58 people) moved to Germany.

Today, Kamyshi is located in the German National [Cultural] District with its administrative center in Halbstadt.

Population:

Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1908 120  
 
 
1911   497
 
 
1926   578
 
 
1980   575    
1991   691    
2000   679    
2010   610    
Volga German Congregations: 

The first settlers from the Volga German colony of Dönhof were Lutheran.

Volga German Families: 

The following Volga German families settled in and around Kamyshi:

Bauer from Dönhof
Gomer from Dönhof
Jacobi from Dönhof
Lohrengel from Dönhof
Schwartzkopf from Dönhof

Volga Colonies: 

Pre-Volga Origin

Volga Colonies

Latitude: 50.387778
Longitude: 9.245359
Latitude: 49.066667
Longitude: 8.966667
Latitude: 49.410354
Longitude: 9.611605
Latitude: 49.133333
Longitude: 9.183333
Latitude: 49.167719
Longitude: 8.892526