Balakovo, Saratov Oblast, Russia
Balakovo is the first major Russian town north of the Volga German colonies - on the east side (Wiesenseite) of the Volga River. It is located just north of the former colony of Schaffhausen.
Over the years, many Volga German families lived in Balakovo - both temporarily and permanently.
From 1956 to 1971, the Saratov Hydroelectric Station (Dam) was constructed across the Volga River near Balakovo. Today, Balakovo is the sight of one of Russia's nuclear power plants (first unit began operation in 1985).