Yekatrinburg, Yekatrinburg District, Sverdlovsk Oblast (Siberia)
Yekaterinburg, alternatively spelled as Ekaterinburg, was founded on 18 November 1723. It was named after Catherine, the wife of Peter the Great.
In 1924, the name was changed to Sverdlovsk in honor of the Communist party leader Yakov Sverdlov. Following the collapse of the Soviet Union, the name was changed back to Yekaterinburg in 1991.
After the deportation of the Volga Germans in 1941, many Volga German families moved to the city of Sverdlovsk. Today, most Volga German descendants who had been living there have immigrated to Germany.
The following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around Yekatrinburg:
Dieser from Josefstal
Kindsvater from Dietel
Krening from Walter