Medicine Lodge, Barber Co., Kansas
The Medicine Lodge River received its name from a lodge-like structure erected by the Kiowa people in the summer of 1866. It was located in the valley of the Medicine Lodge River, several miles below the present town of Medicine Lodge, which is at the mouth of Elm Creek.
Volga German families settled in and arround Medicine Lodge.
The following Volga German families settled in and around Medicine Lodge, Kansas:
DeWald from Hussenbach
Dreiling from Herzog
Hammerschmidt from Herzog
Jacobs from Pfeifer
Schmidt from Katharinenstadt