Applegate, Sanilac Co., Michigan
Volga German immigrants from Paulskaya settled in and around Applegate, Michigan. They were joined by families from other Volga German colonies.
Volga Germans families attended St. John Lutheran Church which had been organized in 1860. It was originally located on Greening Rd between Applegate and Port Sanilac. Today, this congregation is located in Port Sanilac.
Volga Germans first appear in the records of St. John's beginning in 1905.
The following Volga German families settled in and around Applegate, Michigan:
Belger from Kind
Dubs from Rosenheim
Emmerich from Kind
Enders from Enders
Falk from Kind
Herber from Kind
Lehmann from Kind
Loeffler from Grimm
Markgraf from Paulskaya
Naumann from Meinhard
Oehlert from Enders
Rusch from Enders
Scherer from Paulskaya
Schmoll from Grimm
Spar from Kind
Wede from Paulskaya
- USA Settlement List (Patricia Miller)
- Weeder, Tim. "When Volga Germans Worked Sanilac's Fields." Sanilac County News (9 May 2018). [Online]
Applegate, Michigan (Wikipedia)