Pompeys Pillar, Yellowstone Co., Montana
Founded in 1907, Pompey's Pillar was named after a sandstone outcropping in the area that is 200 feet high. Located 29 miles northeast of Billings, Pompey's Pillar was founded as part of the Huntley Project, an irrigation project managed by the United States Bureau of Reclamation. Volga German families settled in and around Pompey's Pillar.
At one time there were both a Catholic church and a Union Congregational church in the village.
Union Congregational Church
The following Volga German families settled in and around Pompey's Pillar, Montana:
Hofferber from Frank
Needens from Gnadentau
Oblander from Shcherbakovka