Johann Heinrich Alt, son of Leonhard Alt & Anna Barbara Kohlhepp, was born 27 September 1734 in Oberzell. He married in Büdingen on 21 April 1766 to Anna Gertruda Vögel, daughter of Johannes Vögel & Gertruda Dorn. Anna Gertruda had been born in nearby Weichersbach on 29 April 1741.
Johann Heinrich Philipp Alt and his family immigrated to Russia from the German village of Schwarzenfels. They arrived at the port of Oranienbaum from Lübeck on 9 August 1766 aboard the Russian galliot Strelna under the command of Lieutenant Sornev.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Norka on 15 August 1767 where they are recorded on the 1767 Census in Household No. 125. Son Nikolaus and his family are recorded on the 1798 Census in Norka in Household No. Nr054.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Nr053, Nr054.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #567.
- Müller-Marschhausen, Ernst. “Russland-Auswanderer aus dem Bergwinkel um 1766 und die Spurensuche nach ihrer Rückkehr im 20. Jahrhundert.” [Online]
- Parish records of Oberzell.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 262.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #4978.