Batzel / Patzel
There are three Batzel/Patzel families that arrived together from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard the English frigate Love & Unity under the command of Skipper Thomas Fairfax. Their relationship to each other, if any, needs further research.
(1) Christoph Patzel, a farmer, his wife Magdalena, and children (Christoph, age 13; Magdalena, age 10) arrived in Oranienbaum.
Christoph Patzel, his wife Maria Magdalena, and children (Christoph, age 13; Maria Magdalena, age 10¼) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767 along with a note that father Christoph died en route.
This family has not been located on the 1767 census.
Christoph (junior) Patzel and his family recorded on the 1798 census of Orlovskaya in Household No. Or69.
(2) Friedrich Patzel, a farmer, and his wife Katharina [sic] arrived in Oranienbaum.
Friedrich Patzel, his wife Christiane [sic], and newborn daughter Maria Elisabet are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
Friedrich Batzel [sic], a linen weaver (Leineweber), his wife Elisabeth [sic], and daughter Maria (age 1) are recorded on the 1767 census of Orlovskaya in Household No. 55. They had settled in Orlovskaya on 7 June 1767.
Friedrich Patzel and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Orlovskaya in Household No. Or52.
(3) Elisabeth [Batzel], a single maid [?] (Magd), arrived in Oranienbaum, recorded with Valentin Euchler [sic] and his wife.
Valentin Euchler [sic], his wife Dorothea, and maid [?] Dorot. Elisab. Batzel are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
The 1834 census of Orlovskaya records this surname as Batzel.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that both of these Patzel families came from the German region of Dessau. The 1767 census records that Friedrich Patzel came from the German village of Wallendorf [Quellendorf per the sale article] from the Dessau region.
- 1834 Orlovskaya Census (Households No. 65, 70, 148).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Or32, Or69.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 323.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #1427, #1428, #1431.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #0819-0825, 0832.
Publication of the pending public sale of the things of Christoph Batzel.
Source: Karl Becker.