Valentin Bauer, his wife, and two children were one of three families who are described in the Kulberg book as being from Pfalz, and in the First Settler’s List (FSL) as being from Falkenstein. Approximately 6 miles north of Falkenstein is the town of Sankt Alban. Valentin Bauer and his wife Maria Ottila Engel were married on 12 May 1750 according to the Sankt Alban parish records. They had three children, Johann Andreas, Johann Peter, and Johannes, all recorded in the Sankt Alban parish records, before immigrating to Russia. Andreas died before the family immigrated, and both Maria and Peter died during the trip to the colony.
Valentin Bauer and his family settled in the Volga German colony of Kolb on 13 May 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 8.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Ko11.
- Parish records of Sankt Alban, Rockenhausen, Central Archive of the Evangelical Church in Pfalz (Archion.de)
- Parish records of Sankt Alban (LDS Film #193160)
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 387.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #0408.