Johannes & Anna Catharina Bechtold had three children recorded in the Schwickartshausen parish register. All three were born in Eckartsborn: (1) Johann Adam, born 1 July 1757, baptized 3 July 1757; (2) Elisabetha Margaretha, born 28 December 1759, baptized 30 December 1759; and (3) Rebecca, born 15 June 1763, baptized 17 June 1763.
Johann Bechthold, a farmer, his wife Julianna, and children (Johann Adam, age 8; Elisabeth, age 7; Rebekka, age 3) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 15 September 1766 aboard the snow-brig Die Frau Dietrika under the command of Skipper Joachim Friedrich Luhn.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Walter on 25 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 64.
The 1767 census records that [Johann] Bechthold came from the German village of Eckartsborn in the Hessen-Darmstadt region.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Wt054.
- Parish register of Schwickartshausen.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 309.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6060.
- Stumpp, Karl. The Emigration from Germany to Russia in the years 1763 to 1862 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1982): 120.