Bopp / Popp (Balzer / Norka)
Johann Heinrich Popp, son of Conrad Popp, was born 14 February 1714 and baptized 18 February 1714 in Rohrbach. Johann Heinrich Popp married in Rohrbach on 19 April 1736 to Anna Elisabetha Grasmück, daughter of Johannes Grasmück & Anna Elisabetha Thonges. Anna Elisabetha Grasmück had been born 28 October 1716 and baptized 2 November 1716 in Rorhbach. [See Grasmück Family.]
Among the children born in Rohrbach to Johann Heinrich Popp & Anna Elisabetha Grasmück are: (1) Eva, baptized 12 August 1740; (2) Johann Conrad, baptized 22 April 1742; (3) Johann Georg, baptized 17 April 1744; (4) Anna Elisabeth, baptized 9 July 1748; (5) Johann Heinrich, baptized 5 October 1750; (6) Anna Barbara, baptized 22 April 1753; (7) Johanna Elisabetha, baptized 27 August 1755; and (8) Johannes, baptized 16 February 1757.
The parish register of Rohrbach records a list of colonists who left for Russia in 1766 including Joh. Henr. Popp Senior, his wife, sons, and daughters.
Heinrich Popp, a farmer, wife Elisabeth, and children (Elisabeth, age 19; Johann Heinrich, age 17; Anna Barbara, age 14; Anna, age 11; Johann[es], age 9) along with the newly married Konrad Popp and his wife Philippina and the newly married Eva Popp and her husband Johannes Meisinger arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard the English frigate Love & Unity under the command of Skipper Thomas Fairfax.
Widow Elisabeth Popp and the surviving children (Johann Heinrich, age 19; Anna Barbara, age 16; Anna Betta, age 13; Johannes, age 11) are recorded on the 1767 census of Balzer in Household No. 61.
(1) Oldest daughter Eva Popp married Johannes Meisinger. Johannes Meisinger & Eva Popp and their newborn son Johann Heinrich (3-months old) are recorded on the 1767 census of Balzer in Household No. 62. They had all settled in Balzer on 18 June 1767. [See Meisinger Family.]
(2) The marriage of son Johann Conrad Popp & Philippine Willmann is recorded on 31 May 1766 in the parish register of the Reformed Church in Lübeck.
Son Konrad died after arrival in Russia, and his widow Philippina remarried to Jakob Ochsenhirt. Jakob Ochsenhirt & Philippina Willmann are recorded on the 1767 census of Messer in Household No. 36 where they had settled on 18 June 1767. [See Ochsenhirt Family.]
(3) Johann Georg Bopp [sic] from Rohrbach & Rosina Stickel from Schönberg in the area of Württemberg were married on 26 June 1766 in the Lutheran Church in Büdingen.
Georg Popp, a farmer, and his wife Rosina arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Reders.
Georg Popp, a craftsman (Handwerker), and his wife Rosina settled in the Volga German colony of Norka on 2 September 1767. They are recorded there on the 1767 census along with their new-born son in Household No. 22.
In 1789, Israel Popp and his family moved from Norka to Kautz.
Johann Georg Popp, son of Georg Popp, from Norka is recorded on the 1798 census of Pobochnaya in Household No. Pb25.
[Johann] Georg Popp and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Pobochnaya in Household No. 24.
[Johann] Friedrich Popp, son of Johann Georg Popp, and his family are recorded on the 1857 census of Pobochnaya in Household No. 38.
[Johann] Friedrich Popp, son of Johann Georg Popp, and his family are recorded on the 1857 census of Schönfeld.
(8) Johannes Bopp and his family moved from Balzer to Straub in 1790.
Both the Oranienbaum passenger and the 1767 census record that these Popp families came from the district of Isenburg.
The descendants in Balzer appear to use the surname of Popp while the descendants in Straub appear to use the surname of Bopp.
- 1834 Pobochnaya Census (Household No. 24).
- 1857 Pobochnaya Census (Household No. 38).
- 1857 Schönfeld Census.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bz083, Bz101, Kz27, Nr061, Pb25, Sr07, Mv0065, Mv1937.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #712, #1188, #1255.
- Parish register of Rohrbach (LDS Film #1201847).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 89.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 140, 284.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #1817, #6466.