Johannes Borell, his wife Anna Maria, and his sons (Johann Georg, age 17; Jakob, age 13; and Johann Ernst, age 7) immigrated to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein) arriving in the town of Schleswig on 9 May 1761. The father Johannes died in 1763. The surviving members of the family deserted the Danish colonies on 3 May 1763 and immigrated to Russia.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Balzer on 28 March 1766.
(1) Jakob Borell, a farmer, and his mother Anna Maria are recorded on the 1767 census of Balzer in Household No. 28 along with Jakob's new wife Elisabeth. In 1792 [other documents indicate that this year should be 1791], Jakob Borrell and his family moved from Balzer to Sarepta.
(2) Georg Borell, a farmer (age 23), and his family are recorded on the 1767 census of Balzer in Household No. 29.
The Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census record that the Borells came from the German region of Baden-Durlach. The Eichorns record that Johannes Borell moved to Denmark from the German village of Spöck near Karlsruhe in the duchy of Baden-Durlach.
The Borell Family of Sarepta
Christian Borell, son of Jakob Borell & Anna Elisabeth Huber, was born on 17 March 1775 in Balzer. Christian, a farmer (Bauer), applied for an internal passport on 10 October 1790, and arrived in Sarepta with his son on 7 February 1791. Christian was joined on 23 May 1791 by his daughters: (1) Susanna Catharina, born 14 August 1781 in Balzer; and (2) Anna Margaretha, born 15 March 1785 in Balzer.
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary Eichhorn. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Drukerei und Verlag Steinmeier GmbH & Co. Kg, 2012): B-195.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bz108, Mv0075.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 79.
Research on the Christian Borell family of Sarepta provided by Karl Becker.