There are two Braun families that settled in the Volga German colony of Rohleder on 14 June 1766. The 1767 census records that both of them came from the German region of Blieskastel, but their relationship to each other is not recorded.
(1) Adam Braun & Clara Schaub were married on 28 May 1765 in Roßlau.
Hans Adam Braun (age 31), a farmer, his wife Klara, and son Philipp (age 2) are recorded on the 1767 Rohleder census in Household No. 10.
The widow and children of Philipp Braun (Katharina, age 12; Johannes, age 5; Anton, age 3; Johann Philipp, age 1) are recorded on the 1798 census of Rohleder in Household No. Rl12.
Johannes, Anton, & Philipp Braun are recorded on the 1834 census of Rohleder in Household No. 71.
(2) Andreas [sic] Braun (age 27), a farmer, his wife Margaretha, and daughter Anna Sophia (age 2) are recorded on the 1767 Rohleder census in Household No. 11.
Margaretha Lux, widow of Nikolaus Braun [sic] from Rohleder, is recorded on the 1798 census of Herzog in Household No. Hr10 along with her new husband Ludwig Kiebler.
Her son Nikolaus Braun is recorded along with his stepfather Ludwig Kiebler on the 1834 census of Herzog in Household No. 52. This Nikolaus Braun does not seem to be recorded anywhere on the 1798 census (in any colony), and it is unknown why he is not recorded on the 1798 census along with his mother and stepfather.
The 1834 census of Herzog in Household No. 52 records that Michael Braun, son of Nikolaus Braun, relocated to the colony of Wittmann in 1832. Michael Braun and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Wittmann in Household No. 108.
- 1834 Herzog Census (Household No. 52).
- 1834 Rohleder Census (Household No. 71).
- 1834 Wittmann Census (Household No. 108).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Rl12.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #854.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 49, 50.