There are three Bretmann families from the village of Hailer that migrated to the Volga German colonies. Their relationship to each other, if any, needs further research.
(1) Johann Georg Brettman, son of Philipp Britmann, was baptized 9 September 1726 in Hailer. On 29 November 1753 he married in Meerholz to Anna Catharina Keysler, daughter of Peter Keysler from Lutzelhausen.
The baptisms of three children of Johann Georg Brettmann & Anna Catharina Keysler are recorded in the parish register of Hailer: (1) Johann Jacob, baptized 15 July 1754; (2) Sophia Margaretha, baptized 24 July 1758, died 19 June 1759; and (3) Johann Conrad, baptized 28 June 1761.
Johann Georg Bretmann and his family arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard a Russian packet-boat under the command of Lieutenant Pyotr Malinkov.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Moor on 18 June 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 39.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Georg Bretmann was a stonemason while the 1767 census records that he was a farmer.
The 1767 census records that Johann Georg Bretmann came from the German district of Isenburg.
(2) Anna Margaretha Engel née Bretmann, widow of the farmer Georg Engel (age 44), and her sons (Johann Heinrich, age 20; Wilhelm, age 13) arrived in St. Petersburg from Lübeck aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Martin Friedrich Marcau on 29 May 1773. They settled in the colony of Galka. [See Engel Family.]
(3) Susanna Maria Bretmann née Rein (age 71) and her daughter Susanna arrived in St. Petersburg from Lübeck aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Martin Friedrich Marcau on 29 May 1773 along with Susanna's husband Johann Heinrich Heg (age 39) and their children. They eventually settled in Galka. [See Heg Family.]
- Ger-Volga-L on Rootsweb (http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ger-volga/2009-11/1258657363).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Mo40, Mo55.
- Parish register of Hailer.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 165.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #99.