Hanss Balthasar Brenckmann, son of Hanss Georg & Barbara Brenckmann, was born in Kleingartach on 14 October 1720. He married there on 5 August 1760 to Rosina Barbara Oppenländer, daughter of Johann Michael Oppenländer & Rosina Goldner. She was born 9 December 1732 in Kleingartach.
The family moved to Denmark (now Schleswig-Holstein). Two daughters were born there: Rosina Barbara (baptized 28 September 1762) & Magdalena (baptized 7 April 1764). The family settled on the Bunter Hof farmstead in the colony of Friedrichsanbau on 9 November 1764.
They did not stay long there, as they are recorded as having deserted the colony on 1 May 1765. They immigrated to Russia, arriving in the colony of Shcherbakovka on 27 April 1766. They are recorded in Shcherbakovka on the 1767 Census in Household No. 41. The surname has become Brickman(n) over time.
- Clausen, Otto. Chronik der Heide- und Moorkolonisation im Herzogtum Schleswig, 1760-1765 (Husum: Husum Druck- und Verlagsgesellschaft, 1981): 767.
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary Eichhorn. The immigration of German colonists to Denmark and their subsequent emigration to Russia in the years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Steinmeier, 2012): 362.
- LDS International Film No. 1184796.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Sv51.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 255.