There are two Burgardt families that settled in the Volga German colony of Luzern in 1768. They are both recorded on a list of Beauregard recruits that is appended to the 1767 census. They both arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 12 September 1766 aboard an English frigate under the command of Skipper Adam Beerfeier.
(1) Nicolaus Borcherd [sic] and his wife Margretha are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
Nikolaus Burgardt and his wife Margaretha are recorded in 1767 on a list of recruits by Beauregard in Household No. 44 with a note that they settled in the colony of Luzern in 1768.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Nikolaus Burhardt was a stone mason while the Beauregard list records that he was a weaver (Tuchweber).
(2) Georg Borchard [sic] is recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
Georg Burgardt, a single farmer, is recorded in 1767 on a list of recruits by Beauregard in Household No. 150 with a note that he settled in the colony of Luzern in 1768.
In 1770, Georg Burgardt moved from Luzern to Schuck.
The widow and sons of Georg Burgardt are recorded on the 1798 census of Schuck in Household No. Su12 along with a note that Jakob Heinrich Burgardt is working in Volmer.
The 1798 census of Franzosen records Johannes Peter Burgardt from Schuck in Household No. Fz01.
The Beauregard list records that both Nikolaus & Georg Burghardt came from the region of Bamberg. The 1767 census records that Georg is from the German village of Lauenheim [Lauenhain?] in the region of Bamberg.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fz01, Su12, Mv1599.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 358, 378.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #4594, #4637.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #5876-5877, #5893.