Johann Peter & Johann Philipp were sons of Johannes & Anna Katharina Die(h)l. They were both born in Langstadt, which is a district of Babenhausen, between Darmstadt and Hanau, in Hesse.
Johann Peter was born on 3 October 1729, and baptized on 6 October 1729. He married first to Anna Katharina Hammen on 6 May 1751; then, he married to Anna Barbara Moller on 25 November 1755; he remarried yet again on 16 July 1757 to Ottilia Weitzen, a daughter of Johann Nikolaus Weitzen. Johann Peter & Ottilia had four children, each baptized in the Langstadt Evangelical Church: (1) Anna Maria, born on 14 June 1758, and baptized on 15 June 1758; (2) Johannes, born on 8 January 1760, and baptized on 9 January 1760; (3) Johann Philipp, born and baptized on 16 July 1762; and (4) Andreas, baptized on 25 March 1765.
Johann Philipp was born on 24 October 1730, and baptized on 26 October 1730. He married to Katharina Haman, a daughter of Andreas Haman, on 27 February 1759. They had two children: (1) Johann Conrad, born and baptized on 10 March 1760; and (2) Christina, born on 14 September 1763 and baptized on 16 September 1763.
Johann Peter & Johann Philipp and their families immigrated to Russia, departing from the port of Lübeck by the ship Die Junger Friederika with skipper Christian Korsholm, and arriving in Oranienbaum, Russia, on 18 June 1766.
Both families settled in the Volga German colony of Straub on 12 May 1767. Johann Philipp is recorded there in 1767 census in Household No. 5; Johann Peter is registered in Household No. 7.
By the time of the 1798 Census of Straub, Johann Philipp is recorded in Household No. Sr05 and Johann Peter's widow and her family are recorded in Household No. Sr32.
Philipp Diehl and his son Johann Heinrich are recorded on the 1811 census of Staub in Household No. 5 along with a note that they relocated to the colony of Neu-Straub [date not recorded].
Konrad Diehl and his son Johannes are recorded on the 1811 census of Straub in Household No. 28 along with a note that they relocated to the colony of Neu-Straub [date not recorded].
Konrad Thiel and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Neu-Straub in Household No. 3.
Johann Heinrich Diehl and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Neu-Straub in Household No. 13.
In some records this surname is recorded as Thiel.
- 1811 Straub Census (Households No. 5, 28, 32).
- 1834 Neu-Straub Census (Household No. 3).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Sr05, Sr28, Sr32.
- Parish records of Langstadt (LDS Film No. 1340337).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Nordost-Institut, 2008): 230-231.
- Pleve, Igor. List of Colonists to Russia in 1766 "Reports by Ivan Kulberg" (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #929, #932.