Adam Freund, son of Hans Konrad Freund (b. 1708) & Anna Elisabeth Zinn (b. 1712), was born 10 December 1734 in Schellbach.
Adam Freund, a farmer, and his wife Anna arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 12 September 1766 aboard the English frigate Love & Unity under the command of Skipper Thomas Fairfax.
Adam Freund and his wife Anna Elisabeth are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Philippsfeld on 3 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 16.
In 1797, Heinrich & Hartmann Freund moved from Philippsfeld to Basel.
The 1767 census records that Adam Freund came from the German village of Schellbach in Hessen.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bs12, Bs42, Pp11, Mv2319, Mv2320.
- Parish register of Schellbach.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 407.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #5315.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #3439-3440.
- Schmidt, Natalia. History in Miniatures: Individual Volga Colonies (Kaliningrad: Kaliningrad Books, 2020): 232.