Johann Eberhard Fuchs, a censor in Pferdsfeld, Germany, is the grandfather of Johann Georg Fuchs who was born in approximately 1733 in Merxheim, and died in 1802 in Hussenbach. His ancestors came from neighboring Pferdsfeld.
Johann Georg Fuchs, son of Franz Fuchs, married Friederica Magdalena Gresser, daughter of Valentin Gresser, on 24 November 1761 in Offenbach-am-Glan. Friedrica was baptized on 11 April 1741 in Ilgensheim, Rheingrafen von Grumbach Territory.
Three of their sons have been identified: (1) Georg Daniel, born 20 December 1762 in Offenbach-am-Glan; (2) Johann Martin, born 9 June 1764 in Offenbach-am-Glan; and (3) Andreas, born 23 May 1766 in Büdingen.
Johann Georg Fuchs, a joiner, his wife Friederika, and children (Martin, age 2½; Andreas, age ¼) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766 aboard the ship Die Frau Dietrika under the command of Skipper Joachim Friedrich Luhn. They settled in the Volga German colony of Hussenbach and are recorded there on the 1798 census in Household No. Hs080 along with a note that Georg is working as the schoolmaster in the colony of Kolb.
One publication of the 1798 Hussenbach Census records Peter Funk in Household No. Hs042, but later documents (1811Hs042) identify him and his descendants with the surname of Fuchs.
Johann Nikolaus Fuchs moved to Frank in 1800 and is recorded there on the 1834 census of Frank in Household No. 75.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Johann Georg Fuchs came from the German region of Grumbach.
- 1811 Frank Census (Household No. 42).
- 1811 Hussenbach Census (Household No. 80).
- 1834 Frank Census (Household No. 75).
- Küstner, K. Herbert. Ev. Einwohner in Merxheim 1525-1900 (Verbandsgemeinde Kirn-Land, 2000).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Hs042, Hs080.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt. German Migration to the Russian Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #1212.
- Parish records of Merxheim (LDS Film No. 493215).
- Parish records of Offenbach-am-Glan (LDS Film No. 493272).
- Parish records of Pferdsfeld.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6120.
Entry from the 1811 Hussenbach Census (1811Hs042) recording that Peter Funk from 1798Hs042 is actually Peter Fuchs.
Source: Tamara Fuchs