Sebastian Göbel, a tailor (Schneider), married on 24 November 1723 in Büdingen to Anna Elisabeth Meyer. She had been baptized 15 October 1702 in Büdingen.
The baptism of Johann Peter Göbel, son of Sebastian Göbel & Anna Elisabeth Meyer, is recorded in the parish register of Büdingen on 16 January 1740.
Johann Peter Göbel married on 9 January 1766 in Niedermittlau to Catharina Elisabeth Scheibel, daughter of Gottfried Melchior Scheibel & Anna Elisabeth Wentzel of Niedermittlau. Catharina Elisabeth Scheibel had been baptized in Niedermittlau on 6 November 1735. [See Scheibel Family.]
Anna Elisabeth Göbel née Meyer arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 10 August 1766 aboard the Russian pink Vologda under the command of Lieutenant Sergey Bartenyev along with her son Johann Peter Göbel, a farmer, and his wife Katharina Elisabeth, and her daughter Katharina Elisabeth Göbel and her husband Johann Ludwig Fink. [See Fink Family.]
Peter Ebel [sic], a farmer, and his wife Katharina Elisabeth are recorded on the 1767 census of Norka in Household No. 46. They had settled there on 15 August 1767.
Peter Göbel, his wife Katharina, and children (Anna Elisabeth, age 7; Katharina Louisa, age 5; Katharina, age 2½) are recorded on the 1775 census of Norka in Household No. 35.
The Göbel family is not recorded on the 1798 census of Norka, however, Konrad Göbel (age 26) and his brother Heinrich (age 23) are recorded on the 1811 census of Norka in Household No. 35 along with their stepfather Nikolaus Wacker. The Norka parish register records that Nikolaus Wacker had married Anna Maria Spady [widow of Peter Göbel] on 3 April 1798. This reveals that the "children" of Nikolaus Wacker who are recorded on the 1798 census of Norka in Household No. Nr035 are actually his "stepchildren" and their surname of Göbel was not recorded there.
Jost Göbel and his brother Konrad Göbel and their families are recorded on the 1857 census of Norka in Household No. 90 along with a note that Konrad Göbel moved from Norka to Oberdorf in 1852.
Konrad Göbel from Norka and his family are recorded on the 1857 census of Oberdorf in Household No. 72.
Both the Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census record that Peter Ebel came from the German region of Isenburg.
- 1775 Norka Census (Household No. 35).
- 1811 Norka Census (Household No. 35).
- 1857 Norka Census (Household No. 90).
- 1857 Oberdorf Census (Household No. 72).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bz026, Bz086, Nr035, Nr177.
- Parish register of Büdingen.
- Parish register of Niedermittlau.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 241.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #4895, #4896.