There are two Geier families that settled in the Volga German colony of Huck. It is unknown at this time whether they are related to one another.
(1) Johann Bernhard Geÿer, son of Joh. Henrich Geÿer from the area of Kurpfalz & Catharina, was born 20 April 1766 and baptized on 21 April 1766 in Büdingen.
Johann Heinrich Geier, his wife Katharina, and children (Johann Georg, age 19; Maria Helena, age 17; Anna Margaretha, age 14; Margaretha, age 7; Bernhard, age ½) arrived from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum on 9 August 1766 aboard the pink Novaya Dvinka under the command of Lieutenant Perepechin. Catharina Geier died at some point after arriving in Russia, and Johann Heinrich remarried to the widow Christina Schwabauer.
The combined Geier-Schwabauer family settled in the Volga German colony of Huck on 17 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Households No. 63 & 64.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Johann Heinrich Geier was a tailor from the German region of Pfalz. The 1767 census records that he was a craftsman (Handwerker) from the region of Isenburg.
(2) Jakob Geier, a single farmer, arrived from Lübeck at the portl of Oranienbaum on 9 August 1766 aboard the pink Slon under the command of Lieutenant Sergey Panov. Jakob settled in the Volga German colony of Huck on 17 August 1767 and is recorded there on the 1767 census along with his new wife Barbara Household No. 65.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Jakob Geier came from the German region of the Pfalz. The 1767 census records that he came from the German region of Kurpfalz.
On the 1767 census, published by Igor Pleve, these Geier surnames are incorrectly translated as Herr.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Hk31, Hk32, Hk64.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt. German Migration to the Russian Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #1205.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 155, 156.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3807, #4085.