Johann Jacob Gies, a salt maker (Saltzsieder) & son of Johannes Gies, married in Büdingen on 24 April 1749 to Girtraut Böcher, daughter of Johann Wilhelm Böcher from Glauberg.
The baptisms of the following children to Jacob Gies & Girtraut Böcher are recorded in the parish register of Büdingen: (1) Johann Valentin, baptized 4 June 1752; (2) Johann Caspar, baptized 24 November 1754.
Girtraut Gies née Böcher died on 13 July 1758. Jacob remarried on 27 September 1759 in Düdelsheim to Anna Maria Glitscher, daughter of Joachim & Anna Margaretha Glitscher. She had been born 2 February 1731 in Düdelsheim.
The baptisms of the following children born to Jakob Gies & Anna Maria Glitscher are recorded in the parish register of Büdingen: (1) Heinrich, baptized 23 March 1761; and (2) [Johannes] Christian, baptized 6 October 1762. The baptism of a third son is recorded in the parish register of Düdelsheim: (3) Johann Jost, baptized 26 September 1765.
Jakob Gies, a carpenter, his wife Anna, and children (Johann, age 15; Kaspar, age 10; Heinrich, age 6; Christian, age 4; Gustav, age 1) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard a Russian packet-boat under the command of Midshipman Mankensey.
Jakob Gies, a craftsman (Handwerker), his wife Anna Maria, and sons (Johann Valentin, age 16; Johann Kaspar, age 14; Christian, age 5) are recorded on the 1767 census of Moor in Household No. 28. They had settled in Moor on 18 June 1767.
Widow Anna Maria Gies is recorded on the 1798 census of Moor in Household No. Mo04. Son Johann Kaspar and his family are recorded in Household No. Mo16, and son Johann Valentin and his family are recorded in Household No. Mo34.
The 1767 census records that Jakob Gies came from the German district of Isenburg.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Mo04, Mo16, Mo34.
- Parish register of Büdingen (LDS Films #1197020, #1197023).
- Parish register of Düdelsheim (LDS Film #1201789).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 162.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #1178.