Johann Melchior Hahn (born 7 October 1713) married on 17 November 1740 to Anna Elisabeth Göbel (born 16 February 1715). They have 5 known children, all baptized in the Lutheran Church in Oppenrod, a very small village just east of Giessen: (1) Johann Philipp, baptized 30 September 1742; (2) Thilmann, baptized 18 February 1744; (3) Johann Jacob, baptized 8 May 1746; (4) Anna Elisabeth, baptized 14 January 1748; and (5) Johann Melchior, baptized 12 October 1749.
Philipp, his wife Magdalena, and siblings (Thillmann, Melchior, and Anna) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 aboard the galliot Anna Catharina under the command of Skipper Johann Joachim Janson.
The brothers Thilmann & Melchior are recorded on an appendix to the 1767 census of Paulskaya in Households No. 63 & 70. In the Household of Thilmann is also recorded the orphan Katharina Fink, but no relationship between the Hahn and Fink families is recorded on the 1767 census. A note on the 1767 census records that Johann Melchior Hahn relocated to the colony of Basel in 1768.
In 1796, Thilmann's widow Katharina Justina Hahn and her children moved from Hockerberg to Urbach. They are recorded there on the 1798 census of Urbach in Household No. Ur19.
Descendants of the Thilmann Hahn family can be found in Hockerberg and Urbach while the Melchior Hahn family is residing in Basel by 1798 (Household No. Bs44).
The 1767 census records that Thilmann Hahn came from the German village of Oppenrod in the Darmstadt region while Johann Melchior Hahn is recorded as coming from the German village of Berlt [?] in the Darmstadt region.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bs44, Hb03, Ur19, Ms0895.
- Parish records of Hattersheim - LDS Film No. 958779.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 363 & 365.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3955, #3956.