There are two Hahn families that settled in the Volga German colony of Norka. Their relationship to each other, if any, needs further research.
(1) Melchior Hahn was born 14 September 1742 in Altengronau. The marriage of Melchior and Anna Elisabeth Rau is recorded in the parish register of Altengronau on 8 March 1764. Anna Elisabeth Rau had been born on 14 April 1743 in the nearby village of Elm. Johann Conrad Hahn, son of Melchior Hahn & Anna Elisabeth Rau, was born on 27 January 1765 in Marjoß. Melchior worked as a herdsman on the upper Rohrbacherhof estate which was located just east of Marjoß.
Melchior Hahn, a farmer, his wife Elisabeth, son Johann Konrad (age 2), and mother-in-law Anna Maria [surname not recorded] arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 9 August 1766 aboard the pink Slon under the command of Lieutenant Sergey Panov.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Norka on 15 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 148.
Melchior Hahn, his wife Christina, and children (Johann Konrad, age 14; Eva Elisabeth, age 8; Anna Katharina, are 4) are recorded on the 1775 census of Norka in Household No. 112.
Both the Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census record that Melchior Hahn came from the German district of Hessen.
(2) The 1767 census of Norka also records a single man Konrad Hahn (age 20) in Household No. 3 along with the Johann Heinrich Lorei family. He had settled there on 15 August 1767. The relationship between Konrad Hahn and Johann Heinrich Lorei is not recorded.
This Konrad Hahn is recorded on the 1775 census of Norka in Supplemental Household No. 9 along with a note that he intends to marry Erika, the daughter of widow Elisabeth Klaus in Dönhof.
The widow of Konrad Hahn is recorded on the 1798 census of Dönhof in Household No. Dh064.
The 1767 census does not record from where Konrad Hahn came.
- 1775 Norka Census (Household No. 112 & Supplemental Household No. 9).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Dh064, Nr117.
- Parish register of Altengronau.
- Parish register of Marjoß.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 228, 268.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #4077.