Johannes [Heinrich] Hartung, son of Johann Heinrich Hartung, married Anna Margaretha Reifschneider, daughter of Nikolaus Reifschneider, on 2 November 1748 in Gettenbach. The baptisms of four of their children are recorded in the parish register of Gettenbach: (1) Elisabetha, born 15 March 1749; (2) Johann Christophel, born 19 June 1751; (3) Lorentz, born 9 May 1754; and (4) Anna Margaretha, born 19 September 1757, died 27 November 1758.
Mother Anna Margaretha died on 16 March 1759 and Johannes remarried on 10 July 1760 to Anna Elisabetha Kehm, daughter of Johann Georg Kehm. They had another child: Johann Melchior, born 9 September 1762.
Johann Heinrich Hartung, a farmer, his wife Anna Elisabeth, and children (Elisabeth, age 18; Johann Christoph, age 16; Lorenz, age 14) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 aboard the pink Cargo under the command of Lieutenant Moses Davydov.
Johannes Hartung, a farmer, his wife Anna Elisabeth, and children (Elisabeth, age 20; [a] Christopher, age 16; [b] Lorenz, age 15; Katharina, age 1) are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 79. They had settled in Norka on 15 August 1767.
[a] [Johann] Christoph Hartung from Norka and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Kolb in Household No. Ko32.
[b] Lorenz Hartung is recorded on the 1775 census of Norka in Household No. 74 along with his stepfather Jakob Wilhelm.
Lorenz Hartung from Norka and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Frank in Household No. Fk003.
Lorenz Hartung is recorded on the 1811 census of Frank in Household No. 3.
The death of Lorenz Hartung in 1829 is recorded on the 1834 census of Frank in Household No. 221.
There do not appear to be any surviving male lines of Lorenz Hartung.
[c] Elisabeth Kehm, widow of Johannes Hartung, and their son Johannes (age 29) are recorded on the 1798 census of Norka in Household No. Nr078.
Both the Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census record that Johann Heinrich Hartung came from the German region of Isenburg.
- 1775 Norka Census (Household No. 74).
- 1811 Frank Census (Household No. 3).
- 1834 Frank Census (Household No. 221).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fk003, Ko32, Nr078.
- Parish registers of Gründau.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet 1764-1767 Band 3 (Goettingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis; 2005): 250.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #4141.