Philipp Heun, son of Neidhardt Wilhelm Heun and Magdalena Rausch, was born in Rommers on 1 May 1725. He married Katharina Limpert on 20 July 1748.
Philipp Hein, a farmer, his wife Katharina, and children (Valentin, age 19; Nikolaus, age 16½; Katharina, age 11; Georg, age 4; Philipp, age 2) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Reders.
Arriving in Oranienbaum with them were Johann Martin Guttmann & his wife Margaretha Heun from Rommers who had been married on 12 May 1766 in the Lutheran Church of Büdingen. Margaretha is believed to be the daughter of Philipp Hein & Katharina Limpert.
Phillip Hayn [sic] and his children (Valentin, age 18; Nicolaus, age 16; Catrina, age 11; Georg, age 6; Philllip, age 2) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767 along with a note that son Phillip died en route.
Philipp Hein, a farmer, his wife [new] Katharina, and children (Valentin, age 19; Nikolaus, age 18; Katharina, age 11) are recorded on the 1767 census of Frank in Household No. 114. They had settled there on 1 September 1767.
Son Nikolaus Hein and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Frank in Household No. Fk025.
The death of Nikolaus Hein in 1808 is recorded on the 1811 census of Frank in Household No. 25.
The widow and children of son Valentin Hein are recorded on the 1798 census of Frank in Household No. Fk017.
The sons and grandsons of Valentin Hein are recorded on the 1811 census of Frank in Household No. 17.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Philipp Hein came from the German village of Herschfeld [sic]. The 1767 census records that he came from the German village of Hirschfeld [sic]. Further research has revealed that this village is Gersfeld.
- 1811 Frank Census (Households No. 17, 25).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fk017, Fk025.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #633.
- Parish register of Gersfeld.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 439.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6445.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #7342-7347.
Edward F. Wagner