Johann Georg Hayn, son of Mathes Hayn, married on 5 March 1750 in Wächtersbach to Anna Maria Jockel, daughter of Johannes Jockel. The births of three of their children are recorded in Wächtersbach: (1) Johann Ludwig, born 2 May 1753; (2) Anna Catharina, born 4 April 1756; and (3) Christian Friedrich, born 19 September 1762. In Wächtersbach, the spelling of the surname varies: Haÿn or Hayn.
Georg Hein, a farmer, his wife Anna, and children (Johann, age 14; Katharina, age 11; Christian, age 4) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766. They settled in the Volga German colony of Huck on 1 July 1767 where they are recorded on the 1767 Census in Household No. 2.
The Georg Hein family arrived in Oranienbaum with Ludwig Hein and his wife Christina. They settled in Huck on 1 July 1767 as well. They are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 29 along with orphans Johann Heinrich Wurst (age 17) and his brother Johann Friedrich (age 12). The 1767 census does not record a relationship between the Hein & Wurst families.
Georg Hein, his wife Anna Maria, and son Christian (age 13) are recorded on the 1775 census of Huck in Household No. 16 along with son Johann Ludwig, daughter-in-law Magdalena, and grandchildren (Anna Katharina, age 6; Johann Ludwig, age 3½; Johann Georg, age 1½).
The death of Ludwig Hein in 1817 is recorded on the 1834 census of Huck in Household No. 68.
Both the Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census record that these two Hein families came from the German region of Isenburg.
- 1775 Huck Census (Household No. 16).
- 1834 Huck Census (Household No. 68).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Hk15, Hk31, Hk91, Hk92.
- Parish register of Wächtersbach.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 140, 147.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3140, #3141.
Entry on the Oranienbaum passenger list recording the families of Georg & Ludwig Hein.
Source: Brent Mai.