There are two Hess families that settled in the Volga German colony of Preuss on 15 July 1767.
(1) Franz Hess, a farmer, and his wife Anna Maria are recorded in Preuss on the 1767 census in Household No. 55.
Son Johannes Hess and his family relocated to the colony of Mariental and are recorded there on the 1834 census in Household No. 207.
The 1798 census Preuss records in Household No. Ps45 that son Johannes (again) is working in the colony of Dehler.
(2) Johannes Hess, a farmer, and his wife Anna Maria are recorded in Preuss on the 1767 census in Household No. 58.
The 1767 census records that both Franz and Johannes Hess came from the village of Dalheim in Luxembourg.
- 1834 Mariental Census (Household No. 207).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Ps45, Ps48.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet 1764-1767 Band 3 (Goettingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis; 2005): 421, 422.