Ickes / Ix (Grimm)
Georg Yckes, son of Johann Yckes (ca.1686 – 22 January 1747) & Anna Gertraut (surname unknown), was born on 13 October 1736 in Romrod near Alsfeld. He married in Büdingen on 7 April 1766 to Anna Barbara Schäfer, daughter of Jacob Schäfer (b. 11 January 1695) & Catharina Euler (born 6 March 1701). She was born on 26 April 1745 in nearby Ehringshausen.
They immigrated to Russia and settled in Grimm where they are recorded on the 1767 Census in Household No. 75.
Georg Icks and his family are recorded on the 1775 census of Grimm in Household No. 144.
In 1791, Johann Just Icks moved from Grimm to Hussenbach.
Descendants of this family use a variety of surname spellings: Ickes, Ix, and Yck(e)s.
- 1775 Grimm Census (Household No. 144).
- Büdingen Parish Records (LDS Film No. 1197023).
- Romrod Parish Records (LDS Film No. 1195664).
- Ehringshausen Parish Records (LDS Film No. 1195715).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Gm110, Hs078, Mv0791.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 83.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): 62.