Jest / Jöst (Anton)
Johann Adam Jöst, son of Johann Adam & Eva Jöst, was born 27 February 1741 in Siedelsbrunn (east of Weinheim) and baptized on 2 March 1741 in nearby Wald-Michelbach.
He immigrated to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein) where he married on 13 June 1760 in the Karup Parish of Schleswig-Flensburg to Eva Katharina Rothermel, daughter of Georg Ludwig Rothermel & Anna Catharina Heym, and probably related to Georg Rothermel. She was born on 21 February 1740 in Hammelbach and baptized on 23 February 1740 also in Wald-Michelbach.
Adam Oxt [sic], a farmer, and his wife Eva Katharina settled in the Volga German colony of Anton on 7 September 1764. They are recorded there along with their children (Maria Barbara, age 3, & Johann Theowald, age 2) on the 1767 census in Household No. 2.
Adam Jöst and Eva Katharina Rothermel are recorded in Anton on the 1798 Census in Household No. An59.
The 1767 census records that Adam Jöst came from the German area of "Oberamt Lindenfels" in the Kurpfalz region.
- Lang, Gerhard. German Colonists of Denmark on the Volga.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): An59.
- Parish register of Wald-Michelbach (LDS Film No. 1340338).
- Parish register of Karup (LDS Film No. 0054037).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 51.