Johann Peter Caps, son of Johannes Caps & Anna Margaretha Mayer, was born 13 June 1734 in Bonbaden. He married on 25 November 1757 in Bonbaden to Elisabeth Maria Söhngen. She had been born 5 January 1736 also in Bonbaden.
They had 3 children, each of whom was born in Bonbaden: (1) Johann Peter, born 18 October 1758; (2) Anna Margaretha, born 28 April 1761; and (3) Johannes, born 23 February 1764.
Peter Kappes, his wife Elisabeth, and children (Peter, age 8; Anna, age 5; Johann, age 2½) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 15 September 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Hans Karholm.
Peter Kuppes, his wife Elisabeth, and children (Peter, age 8; Anna, age 5; Johann, age 1½) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767 along with a note that daughter Anna and son Johann died en route.
Peter Kappes, his wife Elisabeth, and son Johann Peter (age 10½) are recorded on the list of Beauregard recruits (No. 25) attached to the 1767 census.
Peter Kappes (senior) and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Zürich in Household Household No. Zr10. Peter Kappes (junior) is recorded there in Household No. Zr08.
Johann Anton Kappes and his descendants are recorded on the 1834 census of Zürich in Household No. 4 with Peter (junior) in Household No. 15 and Peter Christian in Household No. 51.
Descendants of the Kappes family are found on the 1857 census of Zürich in Households No. 7, 52, 56, 60, 65, 84, 99, & 178.
The 1767 census records that Peter Kappes came from the German village of Bonbaden in the Solms region.
- 1834 Zürich Census (Households No. 4, 15, 51).
- 1857 Zürich Census (Households No. 7, 52, 56, 60, 65, 84, 99, & 178).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Zr08, Zr10.
- Parish register of Bonbaden.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 354.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #7081.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #3908-3912.
Entry in the parish register of Bonbaden recording the birth of Johann Peter Kappes on 13 June 1734.
Source: Karl Becker.
Entry recording the baptism of Anna Catharina Kapes, daughter of Peter & Eva Barbara (his second wife) Kapes, on 1 April 1793 (birth on 30 March 1793) in the parish register of Zürich.
Source: Karl Becker.