Valentin Körbler, son of Marcus Körbler, was born 11 December 1722 in Altheim. Anna Margaretha Kilian, daughter of Leonhard Kilian, was born 15 April 1729 in Sickenhofen. They were married in Sickenhofen on 19 August 1749. The Altheim Familienbuch records that they had 6 children: (1) Johann Nickel, born 3 April 1750; (2) Johann Adam, born 16 July 1754; (3) Johann Valentin, born 26 September 1756 (died as a child); (4) Susanna Catharina, born 22 November 1757; (5) Anna Barbara, born 14 January 1760; and (6) Elisabetha, born 30 May 1764. There is a notation in the Familienbuch that they left for Russia on 25 June 1766.
Valentin Körbel, a farmer, his wife Maria, and children (Johann, age 17; Adam, age 13; Susanna, age 10; Barbara, age 7; Elisabeth, age 2) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Reders.
Valentin Kerbel, his wife Maria and children (Hanns Georg, age 17; Susanna, age 17; Johann Adam, age 13; Anna Barbara, age 7; Elisabeth, age 3) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Hussenbach.
Oldest son Nikolaus Körbel and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Hussenbach in Household No. Hs112; son Johann Adam Körbel is recorded in Household No. Hs021.
Sometime before 1816, Johann Adam's son Johann Adam moved to the colony of Grimm where he is recorded on the 1834 census in Household No. 66. In 1819, Johann Jakob Kerbel moved from Grimm to Basel.
Georg Jakob Kerbel from Grimm and his family are recorded on the 1857 census of Oberdorf in Household No. 60.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Valentin Körbel came from the German region of Hanau.
- 1834 Grimm Census (Household No. 66).
- 1857 Oberdorf Census (Household No. 60).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Hs021, Hs112.
- Mai, Brent Alan, trans. & ed. Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga: 1766-1767 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): 3061-3067.
- Parish records of Altheim.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6463.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #7064-7070.
- Tuchlenski, Anne. (Spitz)Altheim Familienbuch (2014).
Entry of the Körbler Family in the parish register of Altheim.
Source: Maggie Hein.