There are multiple lineages of the Klein family that settled in Frank. They are related via common ancestors Johann Friedrich Klein and Anna Margaretha Klüppel of Södel.
Johann Philipp Klein, son of Johann Ernst Klein & Anna Elisabetha Ries, was baptized in Södel on 30 May 1719. He married there on 17 November 1746 to Anna Elisabeth Raab, daughter of Johannes Raab & Maria Elisabetha Krafft, who was born 4 March 1725 in Trais an der Horloff.
Philipp & Elisabeth Klein had the following children: (1) Anna Clara, born 19 November 1747, died 1 December 1747; (2) Johann Adam, born 15 March 1749; (3) Anna Elisabeth, born 29 September 1751, died 2 December 1751; (4) Anna Christina, born 17 March 1753; (5) Johannes, born 20 November 1755, died 2 September 1757; (6) Maria Catharina, born 9 January 1760; (7) Johann Henrich, born 30 April 1761; and (8) Magdalena, born 20 July 1764.
Philipp Klein, a farmer, his wife Elisabeth, and children (Adam, age 19; Christina, age 15; Katharina, age 8; Magdalena, age 2½) arrived in Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766 aboard the galliot Der Jan from Lübeck under the command of Skipper Markus Dragun. Elisabeth evidently died on the trip to the Volga area.
Philipp Klein, a farmer, his new wife Christina Dorothea, and children (Christina, age 16; Maria Katharina, age 11) are recorded on the 1767 census of Frank in Household No. 67 along with step-children (Maria, age 8; Heinrich Ulabius [Olof], age 7; Christina, age 4) [surname Lindholm].
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Philipp Klein came from the German region of Hohensolms.
Some sources cite this surname as Kleim.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fk070.
- Meyer, Herbert. Die Familien - Chronik Södel - Band 2 (Södel, 2002).
- Müller, Hanno. Familienbuch Trais-Horloff, Inheiden, Utphe (Fernwald-Steinbach: Hanno Müller, 1997): 210 & 314.
- Parish records of Nieder-Wöllstadt.
- Parish records of Södel.
- Parish records of Trais an der Horloff.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 429.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #5650.
Edward F. Wagner