André (Andreas) Kurbeto was born in approximately 1789. He served in Napoleon's army and fought against the Russians. He was captured by the Russians, and in 1812, was settled in the Volga German colony of Rohleder.
He is recorded there on the 1834 Census of Rohleder in Household No. 79 along with a note that he had moved to the colony of Mariental in 1817. He is recorded on the 1834 Census of Mariental in Household No. 187 under the surname of Kuberto. He is recorded on the 1850 Census of Mariental in Household No. 273. He is recorded on the 1857 Census of Mariental in Household No. 299.
Over time, this surname evidently morphed into Korbe.
- 1834 Census of Rohleder (Household No. 79).
- 1834 Census of Mariental (Household No. 187).
- 1850 Census of Mariental (Household No. 273).
- 1857 Census of Mariental (Household No. 299).
- Belousov, S.V. "Prisoners of war of Napoleon's army in the Volga region: the arrangement, content, relationships with the local population." Bulletin of the Samara State University, No. 1 (Samara, Russia: Samara State University, 2006): 48-55.