Johannes Kröning, son of Heinrich Kröning & Elisabetha Nix, was baptized on 6 April 1727. Anna Veronica Veÿ, daughter of Carol Veÿ and Magdalena Buttner, was baptized on 15 December 1717. Johannes Kröning and Anna Veronica Veÿ married on 30 May 1747. The baptisms of four children, all born in Mosbach, are recorded in the Gersfeld parish register: (1) Johannes, 9 May 1748; (2) Barbara, 12 March 1751; (3) Elisabetha Margaretha, 13 October 1753; and (4) Margaretha, 27 August 1756.
Hans Kröning, a farmer, his wife Veronica, and children (Johann[es], age 19; Barbara, age 18; Elisabeth, age 14; Margaretha, age 11) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Reders.
Hanns Cröning [sic], his wife Veronicka, and children (Johannes, age 20; Barbara, age 18; Elisabeth, age 14; Margretha, age 11) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767 along with a note that mother Veronicka died en route.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Frank on 1 September 1767. Hans Kröning is recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 111 along with his new wife Anna Maria and her children (Margaretha, age 18; Johann Balzer, age 11 [surname not recorded]).
Johannes Kröning, son of Johannes Kröning, relocated from Frank to Norka.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Hans Kröning came from the German village of Gersfeld. The 1767 census records that he came from the German village of Lussbach [should be Mosbach which is a few kilometers southeast of Gersfeld].
- 1811 Frank Census (Household No. 93).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fk093.
- Parish register of Gersfeld.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 438.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766 (Saratov: State Technical University, 2010): #6489.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #7336-7341.