There are two Kuntz families that settled in the Volga German colony of Zürich. They arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 15 September 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Franz Nikolas Schröder. They are recorded together on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767. Their relationship to each other is not recorded, but they are believed to be mother and children because of their ages and sequential recording on the 1767 census.
(1) Kaspar Kuntz, a cabinetmaker (Tischler), and his wife Anna are recorded on an appendix to the 1767 census of Beauregard in Household No. 4. Kaspar Kuntz is recorded on the 1798 census of Zürich in Household No. Zr11.
Philipp Kuntz from Zürich is recorded on the 1834 census of Biberstein in Household no. 58. He is believed to be recorded as Johann Peter Kuntz the son of Kaspar Kuntz on the 1798 census of Zürich in Household No. Zr11.
(2) Widow Anna Maria [sic] Kuntz and her sons (Wilhelm, age 19; Johann Just, age 17) are recorded on an appendix to the 1767 census of Beauregard in Household No. 5 along with a note that they settled in the colony of Zürich in 1768. Widow Anna Magdalena [sic] Kuntz and her sons Wilhelm (age 18) and Johann (age 15½) arrived in Oranienbaum. Son Johann [Just] Kuntz is recorded on the 1798 census of Zürich in Household No. Zr12.
In 1786, widower Wilhelm Kuntz (believed to the the Wilhelm noted above) moved from Reinhard to Graf. He has not been located, however, in the colony of Graf.
The 1767 census records that Kaspar Kuntz came from the German village of Freihausen while Anna Maria Kuntz came from the German village of Fanhausen [Fronhausen?].
- 1834 Biberstein Census (Household No. 58).
- 1834 Zürich Census (Household No. 128).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Zr11, Zr12, Mv2380.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 195.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6800, #6801.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #4408-4411.