Johann Tobias Lenz, son of Johannes Lenz, married in Eckartsborn on 7 December 1747 to Adelgunda Beckel, daughter of Johannes Beckel.
The Schwickartshausen parish register records the baptisms of four of their children, each born in Eckartsborn: (1) Johannes, born 26 March 1749, baptized 28 March 1749; (2) Johann Jacob, born 6 March 1751, baptized 9 March 1751; (3) Conrad, born 26 February 1756, baptized 28 February 1756; and (4) Elisabetha Margaretha, born 4 February 1761, baptized 6 February 1761.
The family arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 15 September 1766.
Tobias Lenz and his family settled in the Volga German colony of Walter on 25 August 1767. They are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 79 with Tobias's new wife Katharina, believed to the the widow of Friedrich Alles, and her two children (Heinrich & Elisabeth).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Wt039.
- Parish register of Schwickartshausen.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 312.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical Universiy, 2010): p. 383 & 421.
- Stumpp, Karl. The emigration from Germany to Russia in the years 1763 to 1862 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1982): 143.