Johann Christoph Lichtenberg, son of the late Johann Adam Lichtenberg who was the deputy director of the district of Jägersburg in Hessen-Darmstadt & Maria Elisabetha Schweickhard, and a hunter (Jäger) in the service of General von Pretlack, was born 10 February 1731 in Jägersburg.
Johann Christoph Lichtenberg & Anna Margaretha Weber, daughter of Johann Baltasar Weber, citizen from Erlach and also a hunter (Jäger) in the service of General von Pretlack [see Weber family in Walter], were married on 24 April 1766 in the Lutheran Church in Fränkisch-Crumbach.
Parish records in Fränkisch-Crumbach include a listing of colonists who left for Russia in May 1766. Among them are listed Johann Christof Lichtenberger with his wife Anna Marg. Weber and two other persons.
Christoph Lichtenberger, a farmer, his wife Margaretha, and sister-in-law Christina [Weber] (age 16) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 19 September 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Johann Hermann Anderson. Arriving with them were Philipp Walter and his wife Anna [Weber] and another Weber sister, Eva (age 15).
They are recorded on the 1767 census of the Volga German colony of Walter in Household No. 42, having arrived there on 25 August 1767.
Additional records indicate that "two other persons" are Eva and Christina Weber, Anna Margaretha's sisters. They are recorded in Household No. 41 on the 1767 census of Walter along with another Weber sister (Maria) who is married to Philipp Walter.
The deceased Christoph Lichtenberger and his descendants are recorded on the 1798 census of Walter in Household No. Wt096.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Christoph Lichtenberg came from the German region of Darmstadt.The 1767 census records that he came from Krof-dorf-Gleiberg in the German region of Hessen-Darmstadt.
Some translations erroneously record this surname as Litzenberger.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Wt096.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #750, #1270.
- Ortsfamilienbuch Fränkisch-Crumbach [Online].
- Parish records of Fränkisch-Crumbach (LDS International Film Nos. 1190573 and 1599925).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 304.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6554.