Johann Georg Major was born in about 1734 in Beienheim, northeast of Friedberg, in Hessen (Germany) to Johann Martin Major (born about 1680; died 13 January 1744) & Anna Dorothea Majer (born 7 October 1692; died 24 Nov 1766), both of Beienheim. He married there on 20 March 1766 to Anna Margaretha Frank. They immigrated to Russia, and settled in the colony of Grimm where they are recorded in Household No. 72 on the 1767 Census along with their two-month-old son Georg Konrad.
Georg Major and his family are recorded on the 1775 census of Grimm in Household No. 146.
Philipp Major and his family from Grimm are recorded on the 1857 census of Rosenberg in Household No. 87.
The 1767 census records that Georg Major came from the German region of Friedberg.
- 1775 Grimm Census (Household No. 146).
- 1857 Rosenberg Census (Household No. 87).
- Beienheim Parish Records (LDS Film No. 1269683).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Gm052, Gm179.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 83.