Meisinger (Balzer & Messer)
Johann Valentin Meisinger, son of Johannes & Margaretha Meisinger, was baptized in Aulendiebach on 3 March 1706. He married Anna Catharina Hart, daughter of Jacob Hart in Aulendiebach on 6 October 1734. She died and Valentin married on 3 July 1755 in Aulendiebach to Catharina Hensel. Valentin and his second wife are recorded in the parish records of Rohrbach as leaving for Russia in 1766 along with other families from the area.
They arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard the English frigate Love & Unity under the command of Skipper Thomas Fairfax. At that point, the family included 4 children: Anna (age 24), Margaretha (age 20), Elisabeth (age 17½), and Johann (age 9). A married son, Johann, and his wife Eva also accompanied them. Valentin and his second wife evidently died in route to the colonies along the Volga.
Son Johann Heinrich is recorded on the 1767 Census of Messer in Household No. 57 as the orphan child of Valentin Messinger. Johann Heinrich was baptized in Aulendiebach on 21 October 1757. In Messer he is living with his sister Anna Margaretha and her husband Adam Lang. Anna Margaretha had been baptized in Aulendiebach on 27 November 1747.
Recorded in Household No. 58 on the 1767 Census of Messer is another sister, Anna Maria, and her husband Anton Herdt. She was baptized in Aulendiebach on 23 August 1744.
Recorded in Household No. 59 on the 1767 Census of Messer is another sister, Anna Appolonia, and her husband Johannes Geiss. She was baptized in Aulendiebach on 24 October 1737.
Another sister, Anna Elisabeth, was baptized in Aulendiebach on 19 March 1750. At age 17½, she is recorded arriving with her father and stepmother in Oranienbaum. She has not been located on the 1767 Census, but reappears on the 1798 Census in Schilling (Household No. 22) married to Johannes Kaufmann.
Valentin's oldest son, Johannes, was baptized in Aulendiebach on 11 September 1740. He married Eva Bopp, daughter of Johann Heinrich & Anna Elisabeth Bopp. She was also baptized in neighboring Rohrbach on 12 August 1740. They settled in the colony of Balzer on 18 June 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 62 along with their newborn son, Johann Heinrich (age 3 months).
In 1798, Johannes Meisinger moved from Balzer to Saratov.
- Bonner, Wayne H. Volga German Settlers Identified in Isenburg and Other German Church Records Part I (Gardena, CA: Wayne Bonner, 2007): 44-45.
- Mai, Brent Alan, 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bz061, Ko12, Ms34, Mv0100.
- Parish records of Aulendiebach.
- Parish records of Rohrbach (LDS International Film Number 1201847).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 145.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #1754, #1755.