Jost (Jacob) Mentzer left Wehrheim in June 1766 with his wife and two children. He arrived from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum on 15 September 1766 on a ship under the command of Hans Karholm, with wife Anna and one son, Friedrich (age 3).
During the journey between Oranienbaum and Saratov, son Friedrich died. Jakob and Anna Maria settled in the Volga German colony of Grimm where they are recorded on the 1775 census in Household No. 64.
Jakob Mentzer (the father) is recorded on the 1798 census of Grimm in Household No. Gm142.
In 1792, Johann Jakob Mentzer (the son) moved from Grimm to Rothammel.
Jakob Mentzer from Grimm is recorded on the 1798 census of Rothammel in Household No. Rt07.
Jakob Mentzer and his sons are recorded on the 1811 census of Rothammel in Household No. 7 along with a note that they relocated to the colony of Kautz in 1800.
Jakob Mentzer from Rothammel and his sons (Johannes, age 18; Joseph, age 14) are recorded on the 1811 census of Kautz in Household No. 38 along with a note that Jakob had died in 1805.
The death of Joseph Mentzer in 1828 is recorded on the 1834 census of Kautz in Household No. 84 and a note that Joseph's brother Georg had relocated to the colony of Kaneau in 1829.
The family of Georg Menzer from Grimm is recorded on the 1834 census of Kaneau in Household No. 78 along with a note that he had relocated from Grimm to Kaneau in 1829.
- 1775 Grimm Census (Household No. 64).
- 1811 Kautz Census (Household No. 38).
- 1834 Kaneau Census (Household No. 78).
- 1834 Kautz Census (Household No. 84).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Gm142, Rt07, Mv0793.
- Mai, Brent Alan, trans. & ed. Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga: 1766-1767 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): entries 2065-2067.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 432.
- Struck, Wolf-Heino. "Die Rußlandauswanderung von 1766 aus den gemeinschaftlich kurtrierischen und nassau-oranischen Ämtern Camberg und Wehrheim." Nassauische Annalen 89 (1978): 255.