Johann Conrad Mörkel, son of Johannes Mörkel, and Anna Elisabeth Rolle, daughter of Caspar Rolle, married in Schlierbach on 27 August 1755. The baptisms of three children are recorded in the parish register of Hellstein, each born in Schlierbach: (1) Anna Maria, born 27 October 1755, baptized 2 November 1755; (2) Johann Heinrich, born 17 July 1758, baptized 23 July 1758, died 9 September 1758; and (4) Johann Georg Hartman, born 4 November 1763, baptized 13 November 1763.
Konrad Merkel, a farmer, his wife Anna, and children (Anna, age 12; Hartmann, age 3) arrived together from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 29 August 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Johann Skott.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Göbel on 20 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 9.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Konrad Merkel came from the German region of Isenburg. The 1767 census records that he came from the German village of Schlierbach.
- Decker, Klaus-Peter. Die Auswanderung von 1766/67 aus der Grafschaft Ysenburg-Büdingen nach Russland, p. 154.
- List of those recruited by Johann Facius from 13 November 1765 to 18 February 1766.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Gb04, Gb45.
- Parish records of Hellstein.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 40.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3759.